Monday, 18 March 2013

Ubud uncut

The Villa Mandi may be 20 minutes cycle (too scared for a motorbike, I’ve got a pushbike!) up and down narrow windy potholed very steep hills through rice paddies, along the river banks, across a high ravine finally descending through hanging trees into the tow, but its wonderful to be based in the peace of the village rather than the busy town.

Dawn over the Rice paddies
Ubud is a tourist mecca, encouraged by Julia Roberts in Eat, Pray, Love; there are yoga barns, spas, alternative havens, raw veggie cafes, music venues and art galleries at every turn. Japanese tour groups haunt the sights, and so do beggars, hawkers and anyone who wants anything!
It is, despite that, a great town, with a very different feel to the beach culture of Sanur, and a great buzz after the silence of Gili Air.  The weather is also different, intense humidity, constant thunderstorms and intermittent heavy rain; lightening constantly flashes in the sky, day and night. The freshness in the air is lovely, even though it is still hot enough to swim in the darkness every night before bed.
There are pros and cons to living in the middle of rice fields-the pros are being at one with nature, the cons being that nature wakes with sunrise. The dawn chorus of geese and frogs ensure I am up in time to admire the sun’s rays lifting over the looming volcano…I just wish the sun rose later!

The Dawn Chorus
I had no idea rice fields were alive with geese and ducks…drifting beside them in India is not the same as living in them…the din is deafening.  And as the main sport among the villages is chicken fighting, the roosters join in for good measure. Apparently it’s not blood thirsty, it’s to do with appeasing demons by spilling blood, according to locals, but the sight of the chickens penned in the cages, and watching men train them to kill, upsets me.
The friendly staff here serve my choice of breakfast on the veranda (the portion size is getting bigger and bigger, today I had two pancakes rather than one, plus toast and fruit, bless them) so fuelled with carbs the cycle into town isn’t too bad.
The monkey sanctuary is both great fun, watching them watching us and also moving, the temples overrun with monkeys, and the village cemetery- I now know that the village bury their dead for 5 years, and then the bodies are exhumed and cremated, so that new graves can be dug-environmentally friendly, and a perfect example of what to me is a west/east mix of culture and society-compared to India, this has western influences, and the Hindu-Buddist religion, though unique, easier to appreciate than the complexities of Indian spirituality.
I spent a fascinating few hours going round Neka Museum of contemporary art, complementing the insight gained from my first foray in the traditional art museum. The complex evolution of Indonesian art, and the interweaving of western influences and artists, is absorbing, and has helped me understand more the historic cultural practices here (see chicken fighting!!)
I‘ve bargained in the markets; my new shorts and t shirt came to less than £3 overall, the stall holder for the shorts was still smiling when I paid, so despite negotiating down to a quarter of the asking price, I suspect I could still have got them for less, but the t-shirt must have been a bargain, as the woman there was clearly sulking when she agreed my price!!
And I’ve finally had my eyebrows fixed-since India they have grown so much that I looked like a monkey- choosing a salon here is like decided which bit of straw in a haystack, so I had to trust my instincts… it took the poor woman ages as the etiquette here is tweezers-amazing how nice it feels to be at least slightly groomed, even if still travel worn and travel tatty in every other aspect!

No comments:

Post a Comment