The land that time forgot! Seriously, this island has no cars, no roads, even the paths, now I’ve hired the bike, turn out to be tracks. Here the main danger is being run down by horse and cart, or running over the chickens, or simply going aground in the sand or down a pothole………
Amazingly, I wasn’t eaten alive last night, and breakfast was delightful, a freshly cooked pineapple pancake, fresh fruit, toasts and jam, coffee…a real surprise.
I wandered down to the harbour to hire a bike, and life took one of its turns, as whilst chatting to the staff who were loading the paid dive boat (all of one chap, its very quiet here), they said I could pop in and go along for the ‘ride’, gratis.
So seizing the moment, I abandoned newly hired bike, leapt into the boat, and spent a delightful two hours drifting in the seas around the Gilis, in the company of two young man wearing ‘Homo Divers’ t-shirts….
The seas are so clear and so calm and I’d love to dive, but can’t due to my ear, alas…still, I have perfected the art of swimming with my head up like a turtle, and the pool in the ‘hotel’, though tiny, is perfect.
There are more people descending on the island today, but cycling along through the village looking at the A frame shacks (with outside loos!) and green water logged fields with cattle grazing, street vendors selling fruit etc….even on the beach, apart from this restaurant bit by the harbour, there is a stillness and a quiet pervading the air, beautiful flowers everywhere, and simply time to do ……….nothing!
Amazingly, I wasn’t eaten alive last night, and breakfast was delightful, a freshly cooked pineapple pancake, fresh fruit, toasts and jam, coffee…a real surprise.
I wandered down to the harbour to hire a bike, and life took one of its turns, as whilst chatting to the staff who were loading the paid dive boat (all of one chap, its very quiet here), they said I could pop in and go along for the ‘ride’, gratis.
So seizing the moment, I abandoned newly hired bike, leapt into the boat, and spent a delightful two hours drifting in the seas around the Gilis, in the company of two young man wearing ‘Homo Divers’ t-shirts….
The seas are so clear and so calm and I’d love to dive, but can’t due to my ear, alas…still, I have perfected the art of swimming with my head up like a turtle, and the pool in the ‘hotel’, though tiny, is perfect.
There are more people descending on the island today, but cycling along through the village looking at the A frame shacks (with outside loos!) and green water logged fields with cattle grazing, street vendors selling fruit etc….even on the beach, apart from this restaurant bit by the harbour, there is a stillness and a quiet pervading the air, beautiful flowers everywhere, and simply time to do ……….nothing!
No comments:
Post a Comment