Tuesday, 5 March 2013

Balmy Bali

Today thunderstorms, monsoon rains, and intense sunshine breaking through the clouds. So I took my aching leg from yesterday’s cycle ride to one of the many massage parlours and enjoyed a 60 minute pummelling.

Sunset - after the storm
This ‘full body massage’ was entirely different to India, where oils followed by a body scrub were the order of the day. This time I was trodden on, kneaded, stretched and literally slapped and punched into submission-but it was great, a true treat for my knackered muscles, and I felt a million dollars afterwards, very good value as it was less than a £5!
Back for a swim, drifting around the pool in the gentle rain, and then off to explore the Hindu/Indonesian Temples. I’m fascinated by the temple guardians, extreme caricatures in animal and human forms, -see pic of one looking very hungry, and eying up the temple offerings.

Temple Guardian
Every house has these by every door (there’s one outside mine every day here), so the smell of incense and dried flowers pervade the air everywhere.
Sanur has a footway running along the beautiful beach, dotted with sellers, restaurants, from the posh tourist kind to the local ‘waring’ cafes. No, I still haven’t really got to grips with the food-there is so much meat here, I daren’t venture into the unknown, unlike in India, though the little packets of dried chickpeas and fruits are good value-especially now I have worked out that whatever I’m charged will be exactly double the true cost, so I now just hand over half….and am greeted with a cheeky grin, and the goods are duly handed over!!

No comments:

Post a Comment