Saturday, 23 March 2013

Moving On….to Edwina and Paul’s travels.

And so the end of my solo journey is nigh. Tomorrow I leave for Bangkok and a reunion with Paul. We’ve gone upmarket, at least by my standards, as this is our holiday, the treat for the two of us, and I am looking forward to it, and meeting my husband again after three months!
Indonesia has been brilliant; it has rejuvenated my body, mind and spirit. I realise now I was at the limit of my mental and physical stamina when I arrived here three weeks ago. Three weeks here has been fascinating, but also relaxing, the pace has been slower, the beaches beautiful, the society and culture ‘open’ and friendly, more tolerant, and with its western influences, easier to understand.
Sanur was a delight, with its long beach paths, endless sands, nigh and day markets, and a complex interweaving of tourist spots and local haunts. There I saw my first chicken fight,  metres away from  posh beach restaurant, the village life continues as it has always done…………
The food here is delicious, once I’d got to grips with the veggie options, though my favourite food is still the fatty snacks, alas! Eating from the bike carts and the street vendors means a constant variety of goodies……..much cycling and swimming necessary to stave off the pounds………..
Gili Air is a land I thought no longer existed…few tourists, just tiny villages dotted around the tiny isle, linked by paths through coconut groves, and only a donkey and cart for any transport. Everything is imported by boat, the villagers fish for their supper, wandering up the beach with handfuls of fish………so quiet it was freaky, and made me realise how hard it is for me to relax, even in paradise!
Ubud is a delight. Staying outside in the village here surrounded by rice fields has been a great decision, cycling or walking into the hassle and bustle of the town through the rice farms and the villages has given me an insight into the patterns of life in the rice paddy country. The labour is intensive and primitive, no mechanical aids, just men and women often waist deep in water tending to their crops.
I did not realise how steep the rice paddies are (I do now, my legs are so sore from the cycling!) or how noisy, but swimming under the eyes of curious ducks and geese peering through the fence adjoining the little garden and pool here is fun, they trot up and down matching my lengths!
I do crave good nights sleep-Indonesian roofs, being bamboo, are full of nightlife (geckos are very loud, and have a tendency to drop down onto the roof of the mossie net, a rude awaking!). And it will be lovely to be able to go outside without mossie spray and sun cream, even to put the kettle on (its either the kitchen or the bathroom, no house seems to be entirely inside, saves on power, I guess!)
But I shall cherish memories of Indonesia, the kindness of the people, the variety of the scenery, the wonderful, if changeable, weather –turns out I have been very lucky-apart from the odd rainy moment the only bad day I have experienced was the day I sailed back from Gili Air, I have been dodging the monsoon rainfall, fortuitously being in a different place to the downpours throughout my time here, thank goodness.
And the massages-OMG the massages, from the traditional Balinese to the back, neck and shoulder healing therapy of today, truly superb!
So I go to meet Paul with a light heart, thank you Indonesia. India and Sri Lanka have given me memories to treasure, and I will never forget my time there, and am so grateful I found the courage to finally venture forth….There is no point of comparison with western life, seeing how different life is there was enlightening, chastening, and exhausting.
I’d love to go back, possibly to do charity work or just see more –India is so vast that, despite travelling hours and hours, by every available mode of transport, I barely touched the surface. Maybe one day…….I shall never forget the sights, smells, sounds of India, it will stay with me for ever.
And so my next blog, all being well, will be
‘Edwina and Paul’s travels in Thailand’

 

No comments:

Post a Comment