Friday, 8 February 2013

Varkala - Day 1

I am finally getting my confidence travelling…rather than pay a small fortune for a taxi, I clambered into a rickshaw this morning and headed to the bus station.
Hauled my luggage up into the ancient bone shaker public bus (commonly known as the ‘pubic’ express) and rattled the 3 hours into Varkala.
For 100 rupees, as opposed to about 2,500…….!
The lack of windows (Indian a/c) at least meant it was relatively cool, and I had a good view of assorted temples, towns, massive power stations, rivers, backwaters, you name it, I saw it.
And on arrival, I took the rickshaw to my pre-booked hotel, decided it was too posh, and too pricey, and got the driver to take me to the beach, where I found a tiny, but delightful room, for 600 rupees, in a family run guest house just a minute from the steps down the cliff to the beach.
Met up with my friend Debbie (Geman) from Alleppey to stroll along the amazing sands/surf (and recover the sensation in my limbs) The breeze is great after the intense heat inland and at Kochi, and I swam in the surf as the sun set.
On the beach I met another girl from Aleeppy (Hannah, the US student from my first ferry ride) and together we went out for a wonderful supper at a beachfront restaurant under the stars.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment