Sunday, 10 February 2013

Varkala (contd)

I have been running along the golden sands-yes, running! After weeks of fabulous Indian food everywhere, of every possible kind, my legs feel and look like elephant limbs.
Too much travelling and too little exercise-India broadens the mind but its also broadened the body!!
I’m off on a hunt for oranges…I’ve already today had an enormous breakfast, ,only… a pineapple pancake for lunch, and an enormous Fruit smoothie with cardonmmon/nuts and chocolate-plus the usual chai, which here is always made with milk, and sugar!!  
The sunsets here are so gorgeous, I genuinely feel as if I’m on holiday, though as soon as you leave the beach/cliff top, the town is as ‘hard’ as ever….the temple itself is worth the visit, up hundreds of steps and always crowded, with the usual main inner sanctum and then other ‘chapels’ around for alternative devotees….
Coming on the bus from Alleppey, I sat next to a young man with good English, who asked me my religion as we passed diverse fantastic temples, but trying to explain Anglican religious to an Indian turned out to be impossible, though an interesting conversation..
My room here is tiny, well decorated, two steps from the beach and quiet, but the wildlife have a habit of coming in through the bathroom vent….last night there was a green swamp like creature spread eagled across the wall. Alas, I only saw in when in the shower, and shot out wrapped in a towel. Luckily a kind elderly gentlemen also staying there chased it back out with the brush…but ever since then I’ve been using the mosquito net!
The birds are beautiful, the dogs friendly, there are puppies at the guest house I’m staying at, only a day old, very cute, the monkeys and spiders bar for the course, and geckos and cockroaches seem like furniture now, but…………….I’m not too keen on the giant green thing!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment