And so……off yet again on the bus, this time the ‘modern’ a/c type, rare to find! But going from varkala at 9 am (in theory-it came at 9.40….) and marginally more comfy, although the a/c plus windows=same heat as no a/c and no windows!
The public strikes as usual brought the road to standstill much of the way, so 2 and a half hours later, double the expected time, we crawl in Tivandrum bus station.
Instead of the peace of Varkala beach, I found myself in a mad manic mayhem of stalls, peddlers, beggars, buses, animals, ….
Luckily, I spotted a british couple grabbing a rickshaw to Kovolam, who agreed to share the cost-14 kms in a rickshaw with three people and luggage took almost as long as the bus….
The room my guest house host Tina in Varkala has recommended is tiny, and in a family house set amongst palm groves and a labyrinth of paths away from Lighthouse beach.
The room is next to the family’s lounge/kitchen, and very noisy, dogs and children bound up as I open the door, and there is smoke everywhere from the village shacks burning rubbish for fires and cooking.
But the beach is lovely, people are friendly, and I had a great supper with a Canadian couple, teachers, from Toronto, where we passed several hours discussing intellectual authors and the state of education!
The public strikes as usual brought the road to standstill much of the way, so 2 and a half hours later, double the expected time, we crawl in Tivandrum bus station.
Instead of the peace of Varkala beach, I found myself in a mad manic mayhem of stalls, peddlers, beggars, buses, animals, ….
Luckily, I spotted a british couple grabbing a rickshaw to Kovolam, who agreed to share the cost-14 kms in a rickshaw with three people and luggage took almost as long as the bus….
The room my guest house host Tina in Varkala has recommended is tiny, and in a family house set amongst palm groves and a labyrinth of paths away from Lighthouse beach.
The room is next to the family’s lounge/kitchen, and very noisy, dogs and children bound up as I open the door, and there is smoke everywhere from the village shacks burning rubbish for fires and cooking.
But the beach is lovely, people are friendly, and I had a great supper with a Canadian couple, teachers, from Toronto, where we passed several hours discussing intellectual authors and the state of education!
No comments:
Post a Comment