Saturday, 23 February 2013

Galle.

Set off today for the three hour train ride to Galle…being a Saturday, the entire city of Colombo apparently wanted to get on the same train!
Fortunately, although it was heaving and a struggle to get on, as yesterday, families immediately offered me a seat, even an elderly woman wanted to move so I could sit down, bless her.
The overhead fans do little in the heat; wind does come though the windows but the crush of people prevents much ventilation. Still, I arrived safely, and got a tucktuck safely to my guest house inside the historic Galle Fort.
The guesthouse is relatively pricey (though I have negotiated a better rate now I’m here) but in the centre of the walled fort, now a historic site, and this evening I walked the ramparts watching the setting sun with the throngs of families and tourists, eating spiced chickpeas and drinking ginger tea.
And two bizarre sights: the military bases –which are everywhere here-holding a celebration where the commanders were ‘piped’ in by exotic aboriginal dancers  and, as I clambered the ramparts to look at the new town in the darkness, below me is a circus, with a showground and a dog show!!
Commanders Arrival

The Circus and Dog Show
This country is certainly full of surprises!!

No comments:

Post a Comment