Friday, 8 February 2013

Allepey - last day

my last day in alleppey, and thunderstorms from daybreak onwards...the light is hazy, dark clouds threaten, and lightening flickers across the sky.
my last trip around the backwaters, this time by the very utilitarian public ferry (turns out sunday's was the weekend special)....the barge sits low in the water, the locals, huuman, animal and machinery/transport/jugs/fruit, you name it, and I , chug along, watching village life in its everyday more work like form.
this boat runs along the more industrial banks, where clay bricks are piled high ready for water transport, school children clamber on and off, families pile in with heated lunches to drop off at the next stop....
I truly feel as if I have seen every aspect of the backwaters, and am ready to move on...
though I ate a final supper at a recommended local shack, a fantastic veg curry with rotis, with Michelle, for 70 rupees, and will miss the food here.
Tonight the storm broke, torrential rain knocked out the power, and everything else...for  three hours we gathered under the stone verandah at the hotel, before finally it abated, a shaky low power resumed, and we could crawl into bed -alas, despite the rain, the heat is still as intense as ever....its like trying to sleep in the bath.

No comments:

Post a Comment