Monday.
Overnight 1am storm .. usual procedure as follows:
1. Massive Crash of thunder
2. Firecracker noise as coconuts fall from trees onto metal roofs.
3. Hailstorm of torrential rain
4. Earth shattering bang as power substation explodes, plunging place in darkness
5. Humans run outside to escape heat/get soaked
6. Animals, assorted, creep inside to escape rain.
Some time later…
7. Precarious power restored, rain stops, animals and humans bed down together for remainder to night, ready to clear up debris at dawn.
Simples…ssss.!!
So this morning I take the crowded bus to the city, to brave the morning crowds to purchase a new rucksack (my one has finally given in under the strain of the Indian public transport system), and found one for 500 rupees with a free lunchbox/flask.
Probably cheaper in the souks, but the heat drove me into a ‘store’, the procedure to purchase anything in India is so complicated, even I can’t be bothered to get a bargain.
I had a delightful breakfast of ghee dosa/poori at the main Indian Coffee House, housed in a tower where the benches line the spiral staircase and waiters in uniform run up and down…the system even here depends on who you know, not what, luckily I’d sat by a friendly young woman who ordered for me, so got mine (minus cutlery) on the local time scale, rather than the western one…that involves waiting for hours, and getting plates and a spoon, and I’m fine with my fingers when I’m gasping for sugar/hot coffee.
There is one more tiny beach here, just around the corner, so now I’ve recovered in my little room and escaped the lunchtime heat, I shall wander around to find it….unless my legs give way in which case I shall treat myself to a rickshaw…amazing how short distances seem so far in 40 degrees-at least that’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it!!
Overnight 1am storm .. usual procedure as follows:
1. Massive Crash of thunder
2. Firecracker noise as coconuts fall from trees onto metal roofs.
3. Hailstorm of torrential rain
4. Earth shattering bang as power substation explodes, plunging place in darkness
5. Humans run outside to escape heat/get soaked
6. Animals, assorted, creep inside to escape rain.
Some time later…
7. Precarious power restored, rain stops, animals and humans bed down together for remainder to night, ready to clear up debris at dawn.
Simples…ssss.!!
So this morning I take the crowded bus to the city, to brave the morning crowds to purchase a new rucksack (my one has finally given in under the strain of the Indian public transport system), and found one for 500 rupees with a free lunchbox/flask.
Probably cheaper in the souks, but the heat drove me into a ‘store’, the procedure to purchase anything in India is so complicated, even I can’t be bothered to get a bargain.
I had a delightful breakfast of ghee dosa/poori at the main Indian Coffee House, housed in a tower where the benches line the spiral staircase and waiters in uniform run up and down…the system even here depends on who you know, not what, luckily I’d sat by a friendly young woman who ordered for me, so got mine (minus cutlery) on the local time scale, rather than the western one…that involves waiting for hours, and getting plates and a spoon, and I’m fine with my fingers when I’m gasping for sugar/hot coffee.
There is one more tiny beach here, just around the corner, so now I’ve recovered in my little room and escaped the lunchtime heat, I shall wander around to find it….unless my legs give way in which case I shall treat myself to a rickshaw…amazing how short distances seem so far in 40 degrees-at least that’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it!!
No comments:
Post a Comment