Thursday, 28 February 2013

Kandy

First morning in Kandy, and a pleasant fruit platter and toast in the shady courtyard garden followed by a row with the chauvinist manager here: who finally agreed to change my room for one with working a/c, TV, and no leaking toilet!
The lakefront is charming, if traffic clogged, and the city the usual jumble to alleys, markets and posh upmarket shopping malls. The cool breeze is delightful after the heat of Colombo, and I took the tuc tuc the 10km outside the town to the botanical gardens, to wallow in the mountain air, and admire the lakes, fabulous flowers, and the splendid orchid house.
Similar to England, bar the monkeys, which attack at every turn, and the deafening fruit bats………..!
This evening I met up with Stella, the Irish teacher now working in the school here, who took me to a delightful old wooden restaurant, with a tree lined courtyard and walls lined with historic photographs, and pictures of British Monarchy. Where for the first time since leaving England I enjoyed a superb salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment