After a few days of endless sun, sand and scenery, I am finally adjusting to a different pace of life, and to being ‘alone’. This place is so spectacular that somehow it added to the inevitable ‘low’ after the sheer exhilaration and adrenalin of the first two weeks.
If anyone had asked me before I left, I would have thought that this would be the ‘high’ after the exhaustion of the tour, but in fact the reverse was true, suddenly endless time to relax seems odd, as does being without the ‘group’ family.
But I’m adjusting-seeing the snow in England against the backdrop here of coconut trees waving against a blue sky has helped-and I’ve remembered more and more how to operate solo.
So here’s what I’ve done so far…..after venturing to the local town of Chaudi (Tesco’s will seem luxurious after Indian ‘supermarket’-a vast warehouse full of people tearing open packets and shouting in the stifling darkness-apparently the advent of these new ‘superstores’ is killing the local shops, but the people love them and throng in crowds), and wandering the beaches:
Joined a a honeymooning couple looking to save money by sharing a boat trip out to sea, a very sweet couple, who now have endless pictures with me sharing their precious moments (!), where we saw dolphins swimming alongside us, went ashore to the beautiful butterfly beach, and drifting about on the ocean admiring the coastline of Goa.
Made friends with a single parent from Sydney who insisted on showing me all her local traders-who now pester me endlessly but I’m very tough!-and then brought me my first Indian ice cream cone. Surprisingly I wasn’t ill, and it was lovely, very sweet.
I have developed a passion for sweet deserts here, now drinking masala tea and sugared coffee (all that chai must have distorted my taste buds, normal filter coffee tastes bitter here). I have breakfast at the famous Tibetan run German bakery of cinnamon rolls and a pot of milk coffee ( pot+about a litre-is 40 rupees, about 50p) and chatted to other locals, many of whom ‘winter’ here every year and are keen to tell me everything.
Found the way to buy lassi is from the chilled compartment in local shops, for 10 rupees, where they cut the corner and stick in a straw-gorgeous, and better value than the whole coconuts, which taste rather odd!
And last night I ventured to the local cinema, to see Argo, under the stars.
It was a superb experience, the film was great – in English, excellent quality, projected onto a white sheet whilst we sat at tables eating roti and drinking mineral water –a friendly local told me her life story, although it sounded more like she’s seen ‘Eat, Pray,Love’ as the plot was remarkably similar………
And today I negotiated a deal with a local rickshaw driver to take me to Agona beach, about 20 minutes away, where I spent a pleasant few hours wandering along the beach, swimming……….yes, I’ve been swimming, its so hot and the water is so warm………and then he appeared, bang on time, to take me back . Tourism is down here, apparently, so for once the drivers are fairly reliable.
I may go out tonight to see ‘Life of Pi’ at the same place-though there is plenty of choice, as although the tv here works, BBC world gets somewhat repetitive after a while………….
It’s been good to catch up with myself and family, and have time to relax, I’ve still to brave the massage parlours, but I’m tempted….watch this space.
If anyone had asked me before I left, I would have thought that this would be the ‘high’ after the exhaustion of the tour, but in fact the reverse was true, suddenly endless time to relax seems odd, as does being without the ‘group’ family.
But I’m adjusting-seeing the snow in England against the backdrop here of coconut trees waving against a blue sky has helped-and I’ve remembered more and more how to operate solo.
So here’s what I’ve done so far…..after venturing to the local town of Chaudi (Tesco’s will seem luxurious after Indian ‘supermarket’-a vast warehouse full of people tearing open packets and shouting in the stifling darkness-apparently the advent of these new ‘superstores’ is killing the local shops, but the people love them and throng in crowds), and wandering the beaches:
Joined a a honeymooning couple looking to save money by sharing a boat trip out to sea, a very sweet couple, who now have endless pictures with me sharing their precious moments (!), where we saw dolphins swimming alongside us, went ashore to the beautiful butterfly beach, and drifting about on the ocean admiring the coastline of Goa.
Made friends with a single parent from Sydney who insisted on showing me all her local traders-who now pester me endlessly but I’m very tough!-and then brought me my first Indian ice cream cone. Surprisingly I wasn’t ill, and it was lovely, very sweet.
I have developed a passion for sweet deserts here, now drinking masala tea and sugared coffee (all that chai must have distorted my taste buds, normal filter coffee tastes bitter here). I have breakfast at the famous Tibetan run German bakery of cinnamon rolls and a pot of milk coffee ( pot+about a litre-is 40 rupees, about 50p) and chatted to other locals, many of whom ‘winter’ here every year and are keen to tell me everything.
Found the way to buy lassi is from the chilled compartment in local shops, for 10 rupees, where they cut the corner and stick in a straw-gorgeous, and better value than the whole coconuts, which taste rather odd!
And last night I ventured to the local cinema, to see Argo, under the stars.
It was a superb experience, the film was great – in English, excellent quality, projected onto a white sheet whilst we sat at tables eating roti and drinking mineral water –a friendly local told me her life story, although it sounded more like she’s seen ‘Eat, Pray,Love’ as the plot was remarkably similar………
And today I negotiated a deal with a local rickshaw driver to take me to Agona beach, about 20 minutes away, where I spent a pleasant few hours wandering along the beach, swimming……….yes, I’ve been swimming, its so hot and the water is so warm………and then he appeared, bang on time, to take me back . Tourism is down here, apparently, so for once the drivers are fairly reliable.
I may go out tonight to see ‘Life of Pi’ at the same place-though there is plenty of choice, as although the tv here works, BBC world gets somewhat repetitive after a while………….
It’s been good to catch up with myself and family, and have time to relax, I’ve still to brave the massage parlours, but I’m tempted….watch this space.
No comments:
Post a Comment