Monday, 21 January 2013

Ahmedabad

Another early bus ride, with a stop at what counts as a motorway service station here, but OMG the loos!!!
But a pleasant surprise at ahemedad, for once a nice hotel!
Great, just for one night, finally we get hot water and a kettle, and a very brief glimpse of western lifestyles.
Though still not able to touch tap water-it’s weird how that now seems like a major luxury.
Alas, the lunch in the restaurant was typically Indian, i.e. took ages to come, everyone got the wrong dishes…..but in fairness it was good, when it arrives, like most of the food here.
Next to Gandhi’s ashram, left as it was when he stayed here during his lifetime, tiny sparse wooden huts, and many trees inscribed with his teachings.
This evening Romi took us to an all you can eat Gujerti restaurant, where I was given
A tray holding bowls, each filled with different dishes, sweet and savoury all at once.
Plus a cup of buttermilk, which I loved, like Lassi, now my favourite drink!
So much food, the sweets were fantastic, one bowl tasted just like ice cream, custard and jam, in a mousse, served with a superb sweet biscuit.


India is such a country of contrasts-I have eaten like the proverbial ‘holy’ cow. Which roam the streets eating everything, including street stalls produce…and as they are sacred animals, all the traders can do is shout a lot….
I now have limbs like elephants, and a stomach like a camel—we eat out every night, and always in good places, I have never eaten so much in my life!!

No comments:

Post a Comment